Monday, November 12, 2007

Photo: Want better pics?

Those who know me know that I am an aspiring photographer.  I love capturing great images and sharing them with others.  But I know many people who feel that I am a good photographer because I've invested money into my equipment. While I may agree that having a digital SLR gives me an advantage, that does not mean that expensive equipment makes you a good photographer. Equipment is great, but for the most part you only need a decent point and shoot digital camera that cost around $200 to $300.

Generally, when I talk to people who want better pictures out of their camera, I refrain from telling them what to buy unless they ask.  I basically have a few guidelines when it comes to photography. If you keep these guidelines in mind while you are shooting, you will see better results instantly.

  • Know your equipment:  Different cameras work better in different situations. Don't expect a point and shoot digital to take Sports Illustrated quality sports pictures. I've seen cameras that take great pictures outside, but are horrible indoors with a flash. You don't need to have the best, you need to know how to get the best out of what you have.
  • Candid!!: Sure, I love taking pictures of me and my friends smiling at the camera, but taking pictures of your friends and family when they are not staring into the lens can really tell you what was going on when you took the picture.
  • Get up close and personal: When you are taking pictures, try getting as close to your subject as possible. One of my biggest pet peeve is when people take a picture and try to get everything into the frame. What they don't realize is when they try to get everything into one picture, you lose a defined subject. Fill that frame with only one or two subjects, you don't want to waste that room.
  • Try new angles: Do you want to know what pictures are extremely boring? Straight, eye level shots with your subject staring at the camera.  Try aiming up at the subject, or maybe standing on a table and aiming down.  I once was asked to take a boring group picture, but I decided to have them lay down on the floor with their heads in the center, It was interesting and we had fun organizing the shot.
And finally: Just keep shooting.  If your not sure how that picture might turn out, take it anyhow.  It might turn out, and it might not. More importantly, if it doesn't work the way you wanted it to, critique it.  Think about why it didn't work, then try it again.

The secret to becoming a good photographer is actually spending time behind the lens.  The more shots you take, the better you'll become. Just remember to enjoy it.

No comments: