Monday, November 26, 2007

Tired of looking down? Everyscape.com views from the ground up.

I knew that the digital world was expanding when my dad (who has a hard time sending an email to a friend) downloaded GoogleEarth to his computer.  I was proud to see him flying around the world on his laptop, but after a few hours exploring GoogleEarth, I felt that the birds eye view of Times Square was not nearly as exciting as actually seeing it from the streets.

Enter Everyscape.com.  Everyscape.com is a website that recreates walking through popular cities and countries all at the click of a mouse. Everyscape.com offers Aspen, Miami, Boston and New York.  And it doesn't just show you the popular locations, you can see everything as if you were riding in a taxi (minus the cab fare.)

I started my trip at St. Patrick's Cathedral on 50th St and 5th Ave, strolled by Rockefeller Center, then jumped over to Times Square, all within five minutes.

Maybe seeing the sites online doesn't substitute for actually visiting, but now I at least know a few nice locations to check out. Maybe I can even find a spot to get a bite to eat when I visit New York.

Check out the New York Times article on how Everyspace might even help businesses advertise as well.


No comments: