It's been a while since I've posted, but I feel that this is necessary.
Recently, a professor of mine showed this youtube video about the possibilities of Web 2.0 functions. Ever since then, I have been completely fascinated by the influence of these applications on our social, economical, leisure and professional lives.
The Machine Is Us/ing Us is a compelling video that challenges us to think of how our society is interconnected through the Internet. Every time we tag, link, or comment, we add to this ever growing collection of data.
Never before have we been so connected, so interdependent. Our need to know society has developed to the point where websites can show where an acquaintance is by using the signal from their cell phone. We can stand outside our childhood house from the comfort of our living room with Google Maps Streetview. We can post videos on Youtube, place photos on Flickr, publish books through Blurb, even see each other using Skype. And we can invite friends and family to see every aspect of our personal life through Myspace and Facebook. And with Really Simple Syndication, or RSS these sources come directly to us.
This ability to immerse oneself in others social lives through the Internet is awe-inspiring. My generation will practically share their entire life with the world, and rarely do we bat an eye at the idea.
Should we be so willing to expose our personal lives through the Internet? Would we usually allow millions of people to walk through our house? Should we care? In essence, by posting our content and personal information online, we invite anyone with computer access to walk through our lives at our leisure.
I guess if they wipe they're feet at the door, I wouldn't mind visitors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment